A car crash can change your life in an instant. Many are even deadly. Fortunately, most of us safely travel our state’s highways each and every day without incident, but the risk of collision remains statistically significant.
Most auto accidents happen because of negligence — somebody’s failure to follow traffic laws or their decision to drive dangerously. While you can take steps to ensure that you aren’t negligent on the roadways, other people’s actions are sometimes simply beyond your control.
There is, however, good news. The latest car crash statistics in Washington show that our state is getting safer every year, generally speaking. But even with improvement, serious injury and fatality remain a major concern for Washington drivers.
Washington State Car Crash Statistic
The Washington Traffic Safety Commission (WTSC) recently released its findings for motor vehicle collisions in 2013. Their study paints the following picture for Washington drivers:
- A crash occurs in our state every five minutes.
- A person is injured in a crash every 12 minutes and dies every 20 hours.
- Distracted drivers cause a crash every 15 minutes.
- Speeders cause a crash every 30 minutes.
- Pedestrians or cyclists are involved in an accident every three hours and killed every six days.
- Impaired drivers kill someone in Washington once every two days.
- Saturdays are, statistically, the most dangerous day for car crashes; Mondays are the safest.
- November is the most dangerous month, while February is the safest.
- More crashes occur between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm than during any other hour.
- Inattentive/distracted driving is the single most common contributing factor in Washington car crashes.
Fortunately, the number of traffic fatalities in Washington has consistently declined each year since 2006, reaching a new low of 270 in 2012. (Traffic statistics take a few years to update, so 2013 numbers are just beginning to emerge.) The number of DUI-related fatalities also declined.
Nevertheless, those numbers are still entirely too high, and they represent very real suffering for families throughout our state.
How an Auto Accident Attorney Can Help Car Crash Victims
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Washington, an experienced Seattle auto accident attorney at Luvera Law Firm can help. State law entitles victims of negligence to financial compensation for their damages, which may include medical expenses, lost wages, disability, pain and suffering, among others.
To schedule a free consultation with a Seattle auto accident attorney at our firm, contact our office today. We’re here to help you put your life back together.